Just a small town girl.

07:35


A small town girls guide to living in a city.

Yes, that is me maybe slightly intoxicated trying to ride the Bullring Bull...

I come from a small place called Exeter, yes I know it’s technically a City however if you’re from Exeter or have visited you know its really a little town. I want to show you how moving to chase your dreams can be so beneficial and exciting, I moved to Birmingham almost four years ago for university and then I never left! Birmingham is stuck with me! Mwaaa ha haaaaa! I jumped on a train with my suitcases filled to the brim and never looked back! (insert theme song… Journey – Don’t stop believing) Hoping that this is now stuck in your heads. I’d like to share with you my tips and tricks in becoming a big city girl! (or guy!!) An adult of sorts if you prefer!


First things first, a job or career whichever would make you most happy! As this is where you will be spending most of your time, make it something you enjoy. I am lucky enough to not only of had a job in Ann Summers and made friends and a family there who I’ll always know and care for, I also have the beginning of a beautiful and promising career within MAC. Having a working family is such amazing way to experience these beautiful places in which you visit or live, making memories with the people who grew up there. My beautiful MAC family took me under their wings and made me feel loved and at home in this amazing city.


Anyone who knows me will know I get lost easily and have little to no sense of direction, so an app called ‘Around me’ saved my life, is amazing for finding your local supermarkets or closest bar and takeaway food. By far one of my top most used Apps, five stars!


Ditch the accent, its more trouble than its worth. I still have mine (stubborn), no not a farmer accent, yes yes I bet that’s what all farmers say HAHA, but seriously! I refuse to turn brummy as much as I love them! So if you don’t mind the… “You’re not from round here are ya bab?” Or the… “Ahhhh you’re so posh aint ya cocka?!!!” I’m probably over exaggerating but the brummies are hilarious!

Tinder away!! Go on dates, lots of dates!! If you’re single that is… an amazing way to see the city is to have someone show you, tell me who doesn’t love a free drink? Just don’t be a catfish or you’ll be buying the drinks! The right guys or girls will want to show you every bit of their city and help you explore, your experiences may even give you some funny story’s to get your friends wetting themselves… Not that I’ve ever had this… Well maybe once or twice…


Social media. I go through love hate relationships with this one, however in this instance it’s a love. Social media is amazing for finding things to do in the city or anywhere around you! On Facebook I have two favourite pages for finding fun things to do or new places, I Choose Birmingham and also Birmingham’s dirty secrets. After some research you can also find fun groups for after work activity’s and sports even some small community’s on there regarding people wanting to make friends that are not from the UK! How blooming cute?!

On a more serious note it’s hard, it can get lonely and even scary at times. Nevertheless, nothing worth having ever came easy, dreams are to be chased and are not just given to us. Do what you want and don’t let anyone stop you, make memories along the way and even mistakes! It’s how we grow and develop, everything you have done or are thinking you want to do is making you into this person that you will become, so! No regrets! No looking back! And good luck!

I am ashamed to say that I have lived in Birmingham and not explored as much as I should have… Four years, I know I know! Please don’t shout! However more recently I have been cramming it all in and I’d like to share them with you. Below are a couple of examples of places that I love in Birmingham.

Broad street / Hurst Street – Lively clubs, pubs, bars and restaurants. Everything from classy canal side cocktails to comical club evenings.
German markets – One of Frankfurt largest Christmas markets, German sausage, fun festivities, tell me who doesn’t love a foot-long sausage…
Sea life centre – A chance to meet a variety of beautiful creatures from… Under the seaaaa, under the seaaaa!
Birmingham Library – Travel through history and time with archives of books also discovering and divulging into the British film institute to uncover the most stimulating films and television programs.
Birmingham Art gallery - Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is a place to explore art, history, archaeology and ethnography. Exploring the worlds history and culture in a relaxed and peaceful environment.
Shopping – The Bullring!!! If you’re a shopaholic like me, you’ll fall head over heels with this place, the shopping and leisure complex has every kind of retail therapy you could possibly need.

I hope that you’ve enjoyed the small snippet into how I’ve survived on my own for so long, I’m just as surprised as you. However, if I can do it, anyone can!!

Lots of love,
Just Saffron. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments